Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fab Food: Whole Wheat pancakes...

This post is on a Saturday instead of a Friday because I was waiting till today to make them for breakfast.

My beautiful friend Courtney asked me a few weeks ago to post the recipe for the pancakes I used to make way back in the day :) I have adapted it a little since then and love it! You can easily substitute various ingredients based on your tastes, diet, etc...

This is my "health nut" version of Whole Wheat Pancakes......

Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 TB. cinnamon (I love cinnamon)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 TB. Milled Flax Seed (substitute for some fats and egg)
1 egg plus 1 egg white*
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 2/3 cup skim milk (or soy, almond, etc...)
1/2 TB lemon juice
1/2 TB Vanilla
2 TB melted butter**
1 TB honey (or leave out if you like)

*(can do 3 egg whites to omit the yolk OR add 2 TB more flax plus 1/3 cup of milk to replace ALL the eggs)
**(I like the flavor of butter in the pancakes, BUT if you want to omit it you can just add more applesauce)

1) Mix together the dry ingredients (first 5)
2) Mix together the wet ingredients (next 7 ingredients) in a separate bowl

3) Using a whisk gradually combine the dry into the wet ingredients till combined and no clumps are left

4) We use an iron skillet and sometimes our griddle to cook the pancakes. Once the pan is heated at Medium to Medium-High heat spray it with cooking spray. Using a ladle make pancakes 3-4 inches wide. Add toppings if desired!

My son's "Mickey Mouse" pancake...except when he got it he said, "Who's this Momma?" Well, I tried!
My pancakes...with pecans

The Hubbs' pancakes...with Pecans and Dark Chocolate Chips

YUM!

These pancakes are light, but extremely filling. They are full of flavor. I don't even use syrup on them. Today I ate them with 1/4 cup plain yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt. Dip the pancakes in the yogurt and enjoy! Or you can smother your pancakes with Peanut Butter and Syrup like the hubbs always does :) Equally as yummy.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. The flax is something I add to a lot of breads, cereal, oatmeal, etc....Is heart healthy and a great substitute for fats, eggs, etc....Love!

Happy Saturday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...