Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chalkboard sign....

A while back I was in a boutique and saw a cute chalkboard yard sign that you could use to write something to celebrate occasions, etc....I loved it, but didn't like the $25 price. So, I tucked away the idea in my head for future possible projects. Since making this post last Fall we now have a great place to put signs, decor etc...With our sons birthday coming up I decided I wanted a chalkboard sign to go out front, but instead of staking it into the ground, I decided to make a hanging sign that we could hang on our post to write different messages like "Happy Birthday" or "Please knock, babies are napping," etc...

The wheels began turning and this is what I came up with.....

1) I found a wooden plaque at Wal-mart for around $4 and sanded down the splintery(yes, my word, probably not real!) spots


2) I chose a green spray paint that we already had to paint the edges/top...I used about 3-4 coats

3) Sand down the the middle portion to remove any shiny parts(paint sticks better to porous surfaces)



4) I wanted the chalkboard to have "rough" edges around it so I took painters tape and tore it down the middle. I taped off the board with the rough edge facing the middle of the board where the chalk board will go. I then added another layer of painters tape in order to keep the chalk board paint from getting on the edges of the board.

5) I applied literally about 6 to 7 layers of chalkboard paint. You do not want to be able to see the wood grain underneath, this gives you a better surface to write on. Wait for the paint to dry(I waited overnight) and carefully peel off the tape (Mine came off really easily).

(I couldn't get rid of the glare!)
6) I needed to make something to hang the sign by. I decided to use jute twine. I took 3 pieces of the same length and braid them together. I then tied knots at both ends of the braid.



7) Using a staple gun I stapled the twine to the back of the sign. The knots will keep twine from slipping.

8) After securing the twine I decided I wanted to "jazz" it up a little so I took some different ribbon that I had and tied it to the twine. I LOVE this paisley ribbon :)


9) The finished product!


I love how it turned out! AND, of course, I love that it only cost me $4 since I already had most of the supplies :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember me (or actually my husband who you had classes with at Harding), but I love your chalkboard sign! I was looking for a place to pin it and couldn't find one. :) Do you remember how much the can of chalkboard paint costs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, yes, of course I remember you :) I tried to install one on the blog, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. You should be able to install one on your toolbar, that's what I have on my computer. The chalkboard paint I think was around $4-$6 dollars I believe. I will say though, that it goes a long way. This is my 3rd project with the same can and I have more left. I hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tasha! I'll be sure and try out some crafts with some chalkboard paint. It sounds pretty reasonable. Great blog, by the way. Keeping it girl seems to be a perfect title for a mommy of two boys. I hope that you get to feeling better. I'm sure being sick with two kiddos is not an easy job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...