Friday, March 23, 2012

Fab Food Friday: Lightened Baked Oatmeal (overnight)

Today's Fab Food is one of our family favorites, but lightened.

My family loves baked oatmeal and I do too, but it can be pretty bad on the--uh--hips if ya know what I mean. I took a few recipes I had, tweaked it to our tastes, and then lightened it and made it more hearty...that way we don't start the morning with a big sugar rush! After a friend's suggestion I also started making it the night before to let the oats soak(to soften). It makes the morning craziness a little easier to know I don't have to "cook" amongst the chaos.

Here's the recipe I have figured up....

Light-n-hearty Baked Oatmeal

Serves 6

1) Whisk these ingredients in a large bowl:

3 tbs. corn oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tb sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 egg whites
1 Tb. milled Flax seed
1 Tb. vanilla
1 1/2 cups skim milk

2) In a smaller bowl mix:

1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

3) Combine the two mixtures in the larger bowl then add:

1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 pecans (I like big chunks) 

4) Make sure the ingredients are well mixed then pour into a greased baking dish


5) Cover and let sit in the refrigerator over night

6) Remove from fridge in the morning and let sit 15-20 minutes

7) Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until slightly browned on top


We were so ready to eat this that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product until it was almost gone :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I will be trying this one out this week! I love baked oatmeal! I have never tried making it the night before but I kind of like that idea. Mornings are crazy enough as it is. At least if I prepare it at night I can do so in a quiet kitchen when the kids are in bed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...