Let me start with an, "OH MY HEAVENS this is good!" Yes, that was my first reaction.
When I was flipping through my December Southern Living I came across this recipe and knew it would be a hit, especially with my hubbs (the ultimate Tex-mex fan himself). I immediately scanned my pantry and figured out we had all the ingredients needed to make it, so I added it to our meals this week.
This got a big thumbs up AND let me also say that even our VERY picky boys loved this meal....
Ok, on with the show.....and again, I forgot to take a ton of pics, so put on your thinking caps and imagine the first part of this. I did change part of the recipe to suit our tastes, and I put that in parenthesis.
King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese
Makes 6 servings
1/2 (16-oz.) package cellentani pasta (I used 8 oz of elbow pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (8-oz.) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed(I used 2% Velveeta)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup (can use reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (can use light)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I used a little less because of the little fellas in the house and it was perfect)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese (I used 1 cup of Sharp Cheddar)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter(olive oil) in a large Dutch oven(since I was just going to bake it in a skillet in the oven anyways, I went ahead and sauteed everything in the skillet to save a dish!) over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper(I also added the diced chicken here to give it more flavor), and saute 5 minutes or until tender.